Ringside Gym is co-owned by Robyn Pengelly and Richard Ellis. With over 25 years of boxing and health and fitness experience, Ringside Gym offers both general health & fitness and true boxing/conditioning workouts.
Rick and Robyn are proud of their facility and want you to feel free to come and try out. They reiterate that you don’t need to be boxing fit (or even fit) to join Ringside Gym. Come as you are, tell us your goals and between us, and with dedication, determination and discipline you will achieve!
One of New Zealand’s most experienced boxing coaches.
Ringside Gym is a full time commitment as a business. The Gym has been in existence since 2005 and helped support my philosophy of health and wellbeing being made available for everyone. Ringside Gym also provides a strong grounding for the development of aspiring young boxing athletes.
My involvement with boxing has spanned over forty years beginning with club and then regional level of competition. A commitment to coaching has allowed me to be part of many athletes achieving their dreams and aspirations, whether the achievements have been successful or not, every journey great or small has shaped me as a coach and a person. My credentials have allowed me to transition my passion to Ringside Gym and on to our clients.
- National Championships / Golden Gloves / Regional - Gold
- Oceania Elite – Gold / Silver / Bronze
- Oceania Youth – Silver
- Ringside World Championships – Silver / Bronze
- Arafura Games – Gold
- New Zealand National Championship – Best Youth, Jameson Belt (2014)
- Felix Sturm Cup, AIBA, Poland – Bronze (2014)
- Vllaznia Cup, Albania – Gold (2014)
- Commonwealth Games – Gold (2014)
- World Championship representative – three times
- 2015 – Waikato Sports Awards – Awarded 2014 Tompkins Wake Coach of the Year
- 2015 – Waikato Sports Awards - David Nyika awarded the Arrow Sports Man of the Year
- 2015 – Waikato Sports Awards – David Nyika awarded the Brian Perry Supreme Sports Person of the Year
- 2015 - Waikato Sports Awards - Awarded 2014 Brian Perry Coach of the Year at the year
- 2015 – Waikato Sports Awards - David Nyika Awarded the Sports Man of the Year and 2014 Supreme Sports Person of the Year at the 2015 Waikato Sports Awards
- Executive Member of New Zealand Coaches Association
- Hamilton Central Boxing – Head Coach 30 years
- President of Waikato Boxing Association – 2002 to present
- Regional coach Waikato Boxing Association
- Level 2 Accreditation January 2003
- Level 1 Accreditation November 1990
Rick is Head Coach of Hamilton Central Boxing Club (HCBC), holds a Level Two Coaching Accreditation from Boxing New Zealand and has had success at both national and international levels if competition. He is the President of Waikato Boxing Association and Executive Member of the New Zealand Coaches Association.
New Zealand Accredited Boxing Judge & Referee.
Robyn holds a star-rating accreditation with the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) and is a current New Zealand Accredited boxing judge and referee. With years of service to boxing, Robyn has enjoyed appointments at national and international competition level. She is a well-respected member of the boxing community.
Robyn understands the high level of intensity required in the competitive ring and uses this to motivate and challenge clients.